Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Memory Lane

The new Elliott Smith record is out today. Having had to go across town for a doctor's appointment, I haven't been able to pick it up yet. At it's best I am sure it will be phenomenal, being a big fan of Elliott's attention to detail; but at it's worst I am sure it will be flattening, and full of innuendo that will remind just how fragile a state Elliott was in. It's amazing that even in a death such as his (a friend commented "I think that is the saddest thing I have ever heard" upon me relaying the news), people have found solace of their own, as if to build Elliott's mythology even more, immortalized by his own oblivion.

As the blog phones light up, let me just say I performed in the tribute show in Richmond and I was amazed at the community that had popped up around his memory. It was easily the most attentive crowd I have played to.

No comments: